The Hanuman Chalisa is a devotional hymn of 40 verses composed by the famous 16th-century poet, Tulsidas that invokes Lord Hanuman and his powers of protection. As a child, Hanuman was blessed by all the gods who bestowed him many powers. So some people believe that worshipping him is like worshipping all the gods. He was also granted the boon of immortality by Lord Yama.
The Hanuman Chalisa describes Lord Hanuman and his greatness. Reciting it regularly for 108 days puts you on the path to salvation and grants protection from evil forces. It should be read in the morning after taking a shower. It has great power and one must be pure in mind and body to get the maximum benefit from it.
Hanuman was very strong and had many powers. He was known for his courage. He flew all the way to Sri Lanka over the ocean to find Sita, Lord Rama’s wife who had been abducted by the demon king, Ravana, of Lanka. When he was caught, he used his powers to escape from his tormentors and set fire to the city of Lanka. As a child he tried to swallow the Sun thinking it was a ripe mango fruit. Hence it is not surprising that the Hanuman Chalisa is recommended reading for those who lack the courage and strength to face adversities. In fact, Hanuman is also called Sankat Mochan as he gets rid of one’s problems and difficulties.
Why was it written?
It is said that Tulsidas had a vision of Lord Rama in Gokula, the place where Lord Krishna was born and he went to meet the then Emperor Aurangzeb in Delhi. When Aurangazeb told Tulsidas to show Rama to him. The poet’s reply was that it is not possible unless a person was very devoted to Rama. This angered Aurangzeb who threw him into the prison. It was while he was in prison that Tulsidas supposedly wrote the Hanuman Chalisa.
After he completed the Hanuman Chalisa, several monkeys descended on Delhi and began to attack people. Even the emperor’s forces were helpless against them. Finally, the Emperor realized that it was the handiwork of Hanuman. He freed Tulsidas and asked him to do something. The monkeys vanished soon after.
Benefits of reading the Hanuman Chalisa
- Reading the Hanuman Chalisa in the morning ensures a good start to the day
- It helps you attract Lord Hanuman’s blessings
- Makes you feel calm and relaxed
- Banishes evil spirits from your house
- Instils confidence in timid people and enables them to solve difficult problems. It also makes them bold enough to face tough situations. In this way, it can change your very personality
- If you feel that something is impossible to accomplish, reading the Hanuman Chalisa can help immensely. The task will become easy and you will be able to do it effortlessly.
- When leaving on a journey, read the Hanuman Chalisa for a safe trip. It will protect you from accidents and ensure that your trip is productive and successful
- The hymn grants protection from the malefic effects of Sani. According to the scriptures, Lord Hanuman saved Sani’s life on one occasion. The demon king Ravana had captured him and held him hostage in Lanka. It was Hanuman who rescued him from captivity. Hence, it is held that Sani will not cause problems or harm to those who pray to Lord Hanuman. If you want the evil effects of Sade Sati to be reduced, you can recite the Hanuman Chalisa. Recite it at least once, daily. Reciting it 8 times on Saturdays produces better results
- Those who suffer from mental problems like depression will get peace of mind by reciting it. It removes fear and anxiety from their minds. In such cases, it should be recited 11 times daily
- It removes obstacles in your life and sins. To remove sins, recite it 8 times at night
- Those who seek spiritual knowledge and wisdom will find them if they recite it regularly
- It gets rid of negativity and restores harmony in relationships. It surrounds you with a positive aura and makes you feel energetic and lively all day long
Some people face problems owing to bad habits and evil company. They can recite the Hanuman Chalisa regularly to solve these problems
How to Read Hanuman Chalisa
When chanting a hymn in praise of a deity, one must do it in a certain manner to get best results.
- First place a photo or idol of Lord Hanuman on a wooden platform
- Light a lamp before the image
- Light incense to create a sacred atmosphere
- Offer food
- Pray to Hanuman for his blessings
- Start chanting the Hanuman Chalisa
The place where you recite should be pure in every respect. It is also a good idea to pray to Lord Rama before praying to Hanuman as the latter is a great devotee of Rama. The best time to read it is in the morning but it can be read in the evening and night too. The devotee should bathe and wear clean clothes before reading it.
Make it a point to read the Hanuman Chalisa regularly and feel your sorrows diminish, your troubles evaporate and your fears melt away.