Kalathra means ‘spouse’ and a person with kalathra dosha in his/her horoscope faces problems in marriage. Venus and Mars are the two important planets that determine whether a marriage or love relationship will be happy and enduring. If Venus is strong in a man’s natal chart, he will acquire a beautiful wife. In a horoscope, the seventh house represents the spouse and it is called kalathra sthana. While Venus is the Kalathra Karaka for men, the planet Jupiter is the Kalathra Karaka for women.
The seventh house influences everything to do with one’s marriage and spouse. Conjugal harmony, pleasure, enjoyment, relationship with spouse, sexual relationships, progeny, health of spouse, etc., come under its purview. Astrologers usually study the 2nd, 7th and 11th houses to see if kalathra dosha is present in a natal chart. But of all these, it is the 7th house which is the most important when it comes to evaluating kalathra dosha. Malefic planets in this house cause kalathra dosha. If Venus and the 7th lord are afflicted it leads to kalathra dosha too.
Effects of Kalathra Dosha
- Delays in marriage
- Unhappy married life
- Misunderstandings with spouse
- Ill health of spouse
- Absence of conjugal bliss
- Inability to find a suitable match
- Early death of spouse
- Enmity with relatives
- Separation from spouse
In Vedic astrology, the planet Venus or Shukra is the son of a sage called Bhrighu. Venus is the planet of love and beauty. When Venus or Shukra is strong, the native will enjoy the good things of life like luxury, love, romance, beauty, wealth and marital bliss.
When Does Kalathra Dosha Occur?
Mars -Venus combination and the position of Rahu. A woman may have relationships with men other than her husband if Mars and Venus exchange their places or navamshas. This is ruled out if her 4th house (representing chastity) and its lord are not afflicted and the Sun and Jupiter are well placed with benefic planets. Kalathra dosha occurs when:
- 7th house is combust with Sun.
- Venus is in combination with a malefic planet affecting the spouse’s longevity.
- Mars occupies the 7th house indicating untimely death of the spouse.
- Sun and Rahu occupy the 7th house. When Rahu is in the 7th house from the Rasi (moon sign) or Lagna (ascendant) or Venus, in a man’s natal chart, the wife will die early.
- Sun and Rahu or Ketu are in the 7th house. This placement in a man’s horoscope indicates that he will face financial losses on account of his wife’s ill health or extravagant ways.
Many scholars have analysed kalathra dosha and proposed their own theories in their texts. For instance, Varahamihira, in his work, “Bruhajjataka,’ says that a person will have more than one marriage if both good and bad planets are found in his/her 7th house.
According to Kalyana Varma’s ‘Phaladeepika’, a person will lose his/her spouse if Venus or the 7th lord is hemmed in, aspected by, or conjunct with malefics. When malefic planets occupy or aspect the 7th house, the same result can be expected.
The Role Of Sani (Saturn)
Saturn in 7th or 8th house causes problems in marriage. If it is in the 7th house, the result is kalathra dosha and if it is the 8th house, it is Mangalya/Chevvai dosha. This is also known as Sani dosha. In such cases, there will be delays in marriage. It may happen only after the person’s 30th year unless there is a benefic planet aspecting Sani. It is also possible that the native marries a much older person, more than 8 years older at least. Sometimes the spouse may have a darker complexion, or have less social status and wealth than the native. The marriage will not be based on true love or affection between the partners.
Naga (serpent) Dosha and Kalathra Dosha
Naga Dosha occurs when Rahu/Ketu occupy the 7th or 8th house. This causes Kalathra dosha in the 7th house and Manglik Dosha in the 8th house. Naga dosha makes it very difficult to find a suitable partner for marriage. Even if marriage takes place, it may cause only disappointment and unhappiness.
Sometimes, the health of the spouse may be bad. The native will not have a good relationship with his/her in-laws. He/she will lack peace of mind and have fear of untoward events. The spouse may have a tendency to tell lies and deceive them.
Exceptions to the rule
- The dosha can get cancelled if Jupiter is aspecting the 7th or 8th houses.
- If the lord of the 7th or 8th house is well placed, the ill effects are less.
- The planet causing the dosha is in its own house or house of exaltation.
- Marrying a person with the same type of dosha can cancel the negative effects.
Remedies for Kalathra Dosha
- There are many remedies for kalathra dosha. They include:
- Performing homa to the nine planets
- Observing fast on Tuesdays
- Donating food and clothes to widows
- Donating copper vessels to temples
- Performing Satyanarayana puja for 7 consecutive weeks every Wednesday